A collection of inspirational words, stories, experiences, bible reflections, quotes and more.Get inspired and be Blessed!

Pages

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Do you have superstitious beliefs or practices? Are you willing to challenge them? - Daily Bible Reflections October 9,2014


SUPERSTITION
 
Are you so foolish? Having begun with the Spirit, are you now ending with the flesh? – Galatians 3:3
 
       My cousin was a Christian. But she was also a strong believer in superstitions. When her daughter got sick, she killed several chickens to ward off evil spirits for her child’s healing. Sigh!
       I know of other Christians who trust in the Lord, but also believe in fortune tellers, horoscopes and other occult practices… just in case. A lot of Filipino Catholics observe the superstitions listed in the Cascades’ song, “Angel on My Shoulder” — like tossing coins in a wishing well, saving fortunes that the fortune cookies tell, having a lucky penny. They say it’s “just for fun,” but on the inside they’re hoping against hope. Foolish, isn’t it?
       How about this? My uncle, Toñing, mom’s eldest brother, died on October 9, 1974. Then Tito Netoy, another brother of my mom, died on October 9, 1987. On October 9, 1996, my father died. Should we consider October 9 an unlucky day? My mom inspired me. She never considered it a big deal. She was never superstitious. She was a very practical and prayerful woman. When dad died, I got part of my strength from her as she modeled acceptance and surrender to God’s will. Cristy Galang (cristy_cc@yahoo.com)
 
Reflection: Do you have superstitious beliefs or practices? Are you willing to challenge them?
 
Strengthen my trust in You, Lord. I ask for the grace to be totally surrendered to Your will, knowing fully well that it’s the best for me.
 
Blessed John Henry Newman, pray for us.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learn How To Build A Semi-Passive Income on the Internet that You and Your Family Can Enjoy

Interesting Blogs

Blog Archive