A collection of inspirational words, stories, experiences, bible reflections, quotes and more.Get inspired and be Blessed!

Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Fasting possesses great power. If practiced with the right intention, it makes one a friend of God - Daily Bible Reflections July 30,2013


FASTING

 
Moses stayed there with the Lord for forty days and forty nights, without eating any food or drinking any water, and he wrote on the tablets... the ten commandments. – Exodus 34:28
 
I am one of those few who have no right to fast because I’m underweight. But I still do it once in a while to deepen my relationship with God.
       One of my most difficult fasts was when I ate only bread and water from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. for several weeks in preparation for the Christian Life Series I was serving in. It wouldn’t have been a struggle if my birthday didn’t fall within that period or if I was not teaching in a preschool. Despite my petite stature, I can eat like a horse after teaching a bunch of energy-zapping preschoolers who never run out of vigor.
       I couldn’t even get to eat the food I had brought for my colleagues for my birthday celebration. It also didn’t help that my peers were telling me that God would understand if I took a sip of Coke or put adobo sauce on my bland bread.    What people don’t know is that I find fasting difficult. I fast not because I want to stay thin, but because I want to master the art of self-discipline and say no to something as basic as food. When I do that, it’s easier to say no to temptation. Ems Sy Chan (havenofleeanne@yahoo.com)
 
Reflection: Fasting possesses great power. If practiced with the right intention, it makes one a friend of God. The demons are aware of that. (Quintus Tertullian)
 
Thank You, Lord, for my first no — I can now easily say no to greater things. All because of Your grace.
 
St. Peter Chrysologus, bishop and doctor of the Church, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learn How To Build A Semi-Passive Income on the Internet that You and Your Family Can Enjoy

Interesting Blogs

Blog Archive