A collection of inspirational words, stories, experiences, bible reflections, quotes and more.Get inspired and be Blessed!

Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Daily Bible Reflections

July 13, 2011
ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A 5TH GRADER?

“I praise you, Father... because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children.” – Matthew 11:25

My daughter Frances was about three years old when she asked, “Dad, why are there TV ads urging viewers to buy cigarettes and after they’ll say, ‘Cigarette smoking is dangerous to your health’?” I felt that the Mystery of the Trinity was far easier to explain than this one. So I simply said, “I guess grownups aren’t as smart as they pretend to be.”
What I love about children is that they have a lot of wisdom called “common sense.” They keep simple things simple. When adults want to justify a sin, when they refuse to break free from a harmful habit, when they don’t admit fault, when they resist the humility needed to restore a relationship, their common excuse is, “It’s complicated…”
Robert Fulghum was right when he said it all in the title of his book, All I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. Kindergarten counsels make perfect sense: Share the cookie. Always tell the truth. When you cross the street, hold hands. When it’s not yours, don’t take it. When you get something, return it where you got it. When you have wronged someone, say you’re sorry.
We may be smarter than a fifth grader but are we wiser? Jon Escoto (faithatworkjon@gmail.com)

REFLECTION:
Are you currently in a “complicated” situation? Maybe taking on the mind of a child can simplify your perspectives and make you see your situation simply as it is.

Father, may I remember that I am Your child. May I regain the sense of wonder and the simple wisdom that You planted in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learn How To Build A Semi-Passive Income on the Internet that You and Your Family Can Enjoy

Interesting Blogs

Blog Archive